LSU 41, ALABAMA 34
The continuing saga of the jilted lover…
Well, I thought that the defeat would be sweeter. A bit more important than all the rest. However, after all the hype, hurt feelings and emotion, at the end of the day….it was really just another win. Another come-from-behind, gutsy talent win….but a win, nonetheless.
As the jilted lover, however, I wanted it to hurt, really hurt. After all, my old girlfriend, Nick Saban, deserved absolute humiliation, right? Well, maybe. I must say that Mr. Saban seems mighty recalcitrant regarding his old team and I’m just not convinced that his heart is “into” Big Al. But, despite 14 penalties for 130 yards resulting in 6 first downs for Alabama — in addition into three turnovers — LSU prevailed.
That, just doesn’t happen to a storied program like Alabama. Unless, you are extraordinarily talented and under matched. LSU dominated time of possession, total yardage and total defense. By all accounts, the score should have been at least a two touchdown differential. But it wasn’t.
Because of LSU’s total brain fart — or perhaps their over-emotion in trying to deliver a win for THEIR new girlfriend — the game stayed close with the “money” players delivering in the final minutes of the game.
So, Les Miles, should be happy to get away with the win, right? Nope. The dude is pissed. Pissed because his team was obviously superior to the Tide, yet kept them in the game with STUPID penalties and mistakes. They squeezed out a win and ascend to #2 in the rankings, but Les is still pissed and someone will pay.
Now, some people think that Les is a loose cannon, an idiot, a guy who doesn’t deserve this talented team and is squandering their potential. What these critics fail to acknowledge is that Les, at 30-5, is significantly better than the great “St. Nick” was for the same timeframe and that he is poised to produce ANOTHER 11 win season and a possible National Championship. Why so much Les hate? Where’s the Les love? Perhaps there is a green-eyed monster that rears its ugly head around the SEC….
Les Miles is a great coach. Les is a winner. If he wasn’t, he’d have made a few comments after Saturday’s game about playing valiantly and escaping with a win. Instead, here’s what Da Hat had to say:
“We kept fighting, kept struggling and found a way to win,” Miles said. “I can tell you, that’s as many mistakes as I’ve seen in a football game in my life.
“I promise you this. That’ll never happen again. I promise you that. Our football team will be coached very aggressively from this point forward. We’ll never play that poorly again.”
Miles vowed that the mistakes will “be addressed slowly, painfully and over a long amount of time.”
Les expects more from his team, just like a good leader would. He will make these young men understand what it takes to be a winner and to live up to your potential. And yes, he’s crazy. Crazy like a fox. Perhaps Les’ “gumption” and smarts can best be defined by these Les facts (ok, so I borrowed some of these from Chuck Norris, but it’s all kind of relevant in my mind):
- Some kids piss their name in the snow. Les Miles can piss his name into concrete.
- Les Miles’ calendar goes straight from March 31st to April 2nd; no one fools Les Miles.
- Les Miles’ tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.
- Les Miles counted to infinity – twice.
- Les Miles sleeps with a night light. Not because Les Miles is afraid of the dark, but the dark is afraid of Les Miles.
- Les Miles’ dog is trained to pick up his own poop because Les Miles will not take shit from anyone.
- Brett Favre can throw a football over 50 yards. Les Miles can throw Brett Favre even further.
- On the 7th day, God rested…. Les Miles took over.
- Les Miles has never blinked in his entire life. Never.
- Les Miles once taught a class called “Ass Kicking 101”. There were no survivors.
- If at first you don’t succeed, you’re not Les Miles.
As for the young players for LSU:
You are the #2 team in the country — act like it.
Are You Ready? Three Days Grace